Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Graceland School of Nursing Jamaica Winter Trip 2013

Hello all!

My name is Chante' Campbell, and I am a nursing student at Graceland's Independence campus.  Every year Graceland takes a trip down to Jamaica.  I am so excited that this year I have the opportunity to go.  It has always been a desire to use my nursing skills on mission trips;  I never expected to be able to meet this desire so soon!

We will be departing early on Sunday, January 6 and arrive back the following Sunday.  It is a fairly large group going this year (The more the merrier!), and we will be spending most of the days working in a clinic, serving the local community.  We will also have opportunities to shop at local markets, go canoeing, and go the beach!  I also hear we have plans to go to a luminous lagoon! It is going to be a memorable experience.

For now, the butterflies in my stomach are surely practicing for a ballet performance   This trip marks many firsts for me.  Not only is it my first trip to Jamaica, it is my first time flying in an airplane!  It is exciting and nerve-wrecking.   But my biggest challenge at the moment is figuring out how everything is going to fit into my carry-on bags. I'm sure, in the end, it'll be "no problem, Mon".  And a few days from now I will say good-bye to the snow on the ground and say hello to shorts and 80 degree weather.

I am unsure about internet access once I am down there, but I will be writing about my adventures as the week goes on and will be able to tell all experiences when I get back.  I ask for your thoughts and prayers for our safety as we travel, but also that we may be a blessing to the people we are going to serve. Pray that we may take with us a heart full of Christ's love and a servant's attitude, and that we may bring back a broadened view of the world and a greater desire to serve.

-Chante'

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! And don't be nervous about that first flight, it'll be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete