Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nursing In Jamaica -- No Problem, Mon!

Wednesday, January 9th, 2013
 
Hello! Thanks for coming back for the next adventure! 
 
Today has been slightly less eventful for me, perhaps because I've began to settle between the routine.  I worked at the clinic in two different positions: women's health and with one of the doctors.  I got to work very closely with the patients and learned that there is nothing more important than education. It also surprised me how open and receptive so many of the patients were to the teachings.  They were very trusting and most of their response was, "No problem." 
 
The truly exciting thing that happened with the team is that we were able to set up visit to some of the schools down here, to treat the kids.  The first was today and though I wasn't able to go, I heard it went wonderfully.  I will be able to work on the clinic at the school Friday and I will be able to write about the experience then.
 
I was able to experience the market place as well.  It is completely different than what we think of as "going shopping" back in the States. Their version of a "mall" is booths piled high with clothes. The experience was completely different, but definitely amazing.   The funniest thing was being repeatedly asked "Are you a doctor?" by everyone you ask.  Note to self: don't go out to the market place in scrubs.
 
I did find some beautiful treasures, including a bracelet that reads "No problem", I am hoping it will remind me of the attitude the Jamaican bring, that even after hours of waiting (they get here at 6 a.m. and wait, sometimes as late as 5 p.m.) they are grateful and kind, and not at all the grouchy person I would be.  They are grateful and kind.
 
I am hoping some of this attitude can rub off on me.
 
My lesson for today: Attitude is everything!
 
This has been another adventure in Jamaica.  Tomorrow we are going canoeing and to that luminious lagoon I was telling you about, so I am sure I will have lots to write tomorrow.
 
Good night, mon!
 
Chante' 

No comments:

Post a Comment