Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Nursing in Jamaica -- First Day

January 7th, 2013

What did I learn my first day as a Jamaican stow away?

That whole thing about rooster crowing at the rising sun? Total myth! They crow, whenever they want, loud and piercing and ONLY when you're trying to sleep.  The one who lives on our street taught us this...repeatedly. Thank God for ear plugs!

The other thing I learned: I am now an expert at urine checks.  That was my job in the clinic.  When we arrived, the people were crammed on the porch already waiting (where some of them had been for as many as five hours by the time we opened at eight).  Even though the only doctors on this trip are pediatricians,  we saw mostly adults.  All of us were out of our comfort zones today, but I am sure we all learned a lot about the people. 

The Jamaican speak English, but even so, they have a way of shorten words until it sounds like a completely different language. This lead to some communication barriers. Luckily, they were pateitn people and very grateful to have us.  In fact, if I can think of two words to describe them, patient and kind would be the too.  "No problem, mon" describes them so much.  Despite waiting for hours, they were not grouchy, but smiles and jokes and so very appreciative.  

The thing that sticks out to me the most is when one of the earliest patients of the day told me "I'm glad you're here. When you're not here, we're scared."

I didn't know what to say. Except thank you..which didn't seem right. Except I was grateful...that he reminded me of exactly why it was so important that we were here and that we were making an important difference.

We finished early enough that everyone got to tour Falmouth. Out guide was excellent and gave us a real taste of the town.  He made us try a few local treats: a Jelly fruit which looked like a cantaloupe, but was hacked up until there was a small hole in the center, which lead to the hollow center filled with a water.  They stuck in a straw and told us to drink. It tasted like water-downed sugar. Not my favorite, but interesting all the same.  

Sugar cane we also got to try.  It was like chewing on bark (essentially it is), but the juice it produced was sweet.  I enjoyed it, though our group might have looked like Bugs Bunny chewing on them.  

The last thing we did (an my favorite) was go to the ocean.  I didn't expect to go so soon, but I was so excited.  There is nothing -- I repeat nothing -- so awesome as standing with wave around your ankles and starting at water as far as the eye can see I felt amazed, at how big and beautiful the world is, and how small I am in comparison. 

So to sum up my experience in Jamaica, the people are wonderful and the food is great and I am more and more grateful to be here every second. 

Even when that dang rooster is crowing! 

The lesson I am taking away from today is:  Communication difficulties have little to do with language. They have a lot to do with people. 

Hope you are enjoying every moment like I am learning to do! 

Chante'

No comments:

Post a Comment