Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Nursing in Jamaica -- Journey to the Island

Hello, my fellow Graceland students (and all others who may have found your way here -- which in that case, welcome).  Guess where I am writing to you from? If you guessed, Jamaica, well, then you are one smart cookie (and obviously read the title).  Today is Tuesday and the first time I have had internet access. However, I have been writing a blog by hand every day it has happened and my next two posts will be those previously ones.  So even though the time stamp will be different than the dates on the entry, well, I guess you will just have to pretend.  I hope you will read and experience my adventures so far.

Sunday, January 6th, 2013

FIRST FLIGHT

At 3:25 am, after only four hours of sleep, my alarm went off like the sound of a nuclear alarm.  But I was already awake. Today was the day!

By 4:10, I was throwing my stuff in my friend's car and on the way to the Kansas City Airport.  We got through without too much problem (except that pudding cups are apparently a dangerous weapon and had to be taken) and we climbed aboard our plane.

So, as determined as I have been to keep an open mind, I realized I had one preconceived notion that was quickly blown apart Planes are not often the huge, house-in-the-sky that I've seen on TV. They are little metal tubes that you must somehow fit 50 people and their luggage. It is the equivalent to fitting eight people into a mini-van for a road trip -- except you are thousands of feet in the air.  I had to cram my backpack between my legs and squeeze myself against the window.  I thank God He made me short and I didn't need much leg room and braced myself for take-off.

Lesson learned: That feeling as you zoom down the runway -- from 0 miles an hour to flying -- is one of the greatest rushes in the world.

We all landed alive and well in Atlanta, where we had a short lay-over.  We climbed aboard a second, slightly more spacious air craft and headed towards Jamaica.

Spoiler alert: I survived that flight too.

ARRIVING IN JAMAICA

When the pilot announced that we would be landing shortly, I watched as the distant ripples of the ocean turned into Jamaica. It was breath-taking. Mountains rose and fell, covered with thick, green trees.  And the ocean was a beautiful turquoise. 

It was so excited that I high-fived my fellow traveled, Kris, and announced, "We're in Jamaica!" before we even landed. Then, of course, I had to repeat the whole celebration when we were on solid grand. 

I am in Jamaica!

EXPERIENCING JAMAICA

 The group got through costumes with fair amount of ease (besides for a few interrogations that made some us wonder if we looked like hardened criminals). We stepped outside in the Jamaican sunlight, and about melted on the spot.  I knew it would be like summer, but no matter how you brace yourself when you go from shivering and chattering of teeth to hallucination about cool clothes and air conditioning in a matter of hours, it hits you like a smack in the face.

We climbed aboard a bus (with air conditioning that quickly had us all shivering again) and waited until started to move It was a starling moment when we realized no one was in the drivers' seat.  Until of course, we realized that he was driving from the left side.  

The bus driver (one of our "Jamaican friends" -- the wonderful group of people who have been assisting us this week) made an excellent and engaging tour guide and he talked all about what we were seeing as we drove by. But his jokes and stories are not what sticks with me or with most of my classmates.  It was the stalk difference we saw by merely turning our heads.  

On the left side of the road, along the beach, were resorts so ground they looked like only movie stars stayed there (and in some, that was the case). On the right were unfinished houses where people lived, metal sticking from walls.  There was often no roof and many walls were left open. These were family's homes where they waited for the money to finish building.  This was a life none of us would have to live, but it was very rare and very common for people here. 

This poverty didn't surprise me, but it did get me thinking about how many people never stop to see what lies across the road.  We are so caught up in the grand things of life (fancy hotels and perfect beaches, the latest technology), that we don't stop to pause and look at everything.  We miss the differences in the way people choose to lives and how truly blessed they are. 

It is a humbling experience, to say the least.

We arrived safely at our dorm (rooms with little more than a couple of beds and shared bathrooms at the end of the hall) and have managed to settle in. The first meal was delicious and I'm excited to see what else is in store. The classmates chatted and played silly games as the sunset and it grew much cooler (though still much warmer than you must be experiencing in your corner of the world -- sorry!).

Now, writing this, I feel strangely at peace.  I know I am a 1000 miles from home, but I feel as though it might be just around the corner. As though I am right where I belong. 

We begin work at the clinic tomorrow and I am nervous and excited all at once.  My prayer is to be a humble servant and to accomplish my responsibilities. We'll see how it goes. 

My lesson for today: Life is not always as it seems from the outside. Don't be afraid to cross that "road" and find the truth. 

Join us next time for the adventures of Winter Term 2013. 

~ Chante' 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment