Friday, January 11, 2013

Terremoto!

Natasha and Karlee outside the clinic in San Juan
It's another beautiful night in San Pedro!

Today was my day off from the clinic, so I was able to spend my morning doing a little homework in the hammock outside my room. The nursing students that went to San Juan today had a unique experience--they experienced their first earthquake! Never fear, none of us were in danger--in fact, my friend Karlee and I didn't even feel it.

Tortillas! Nom nom nom.
Before lunch time, Karlee and I joined our host mom, Melida, in a little tortilla making. It was enjoyable but I have to say--I make some ugggg-ly tortillas. After lunch, it was back to school, where I struggled through the past tense in Spanish (and can I say I hate the word 'Hacer?' Because I do.) After a quick coffee break, my teacher Nicolas and I walked around San Pedro, delivering food to families in need. The school we go to, La Cooperativa, donates money to the community to help needy families, build houses and help fund local students' educations. Nicolas and I dropped off food at three houses, one where the father was blind, and two where the fathers had died. The experience reminds me of just how lucky I am to have what I have. I may drive a '95 Taurus and I might eat my fair share of Ramen, but I am truly blessed to have the things that I have.

After school, Karlee and I played dominos with Melida's daughter. I had never played before, but I somehow learned a new game in Spanish.

Tomorrow morning, we're headed out to Chichicastenango, where one of the largest markets in Central America is. I have to admit--I'm a little nervous to be driving through the mountains again, but the trip will surely be worth it! That's all I have for you tonight--hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment