Friday, January 11, 2013

Nursing in Jamaica -- Last Day on the Job

Hello, readers! Guess what?

We did it!

Five days of working in the clinic is coming to a close, and what a grand finale it has been! Today, the team was split into three groups and sent around Falmouth.  One stayed at the clinic, and though I've heard it was busy and there was only one doctor and the dentist, I've also heard it went very well.

The second group was able to go to a the public health department down here.  The woman in our team worked very hard to make the right connections so that a team could go there, and I can't tell you how big of a deal it was that she was able to set up the clinic there.  The look on her face when she found out they had agreed last night was all the information I needed on how wonderful it was.  They set up a clinic and did well-infant checks.  I've heard it went amazingly well.  I haven't been able to sit any heard stories yet, but if I hear anything more worth sharing, I will post it later.

The third group (including myself) was sent again to the All-Age School.  And boy, what an experience! It was the first time I really got to work with kids, and even though sometimes the school sounded like a scene out of a World War II film, the visiting I got to do with the younger were awesome.  They were very excited to have us there, and kids who weren't even there to see the doctor would come in to meet the white medical team. Some would hug us, and they all wanted to listen to their hearts with our stethoscopes.

Most were there only for minor colds and check-ups, but we got to treat a few head wounds who showed up at the office, blood still on their faces.  The good news about that is all the wounds were minor and they were able to be cleaned up and sent out the door.  One little girl was shaken up and I sat with her and let her play games on a teammates phone until she was smiling again. 

In short, if I needed something that would validate my desire to be a pediatric nurse, it came today.

Lesson for today:   I want to do this again.

Okay, so maybe I already knew that from the first day.  If I had a dream of working as a nurse in the global mission field before, it has become even stronger until it is a passion.  It is more than "I want to do this again", but "I want to do this for my whole life".  Being a nurse in a foreign country, as been such a wonderful experience.  The welcome and the appreciation I have felt here is difficult to describe.  Even though the feelings of homesickness are finally beginning to sink in, I am proud of what I and my school and all the others who joined us were able to accomplish this week.  And when I leave the dorm tomorrow, I will miss the new friends I have made.

Tomorrow, we go to the resort. It will be a full day of food and the beach.  I doubt I will take a break from all the fun to blog, but I will be sure to tell you the adventures I have the following two days when I land safely in Missouri.  Okay, so maybe after I've had a long, long night's sleep.

Have an awesome weekend!
~Chante'

No comments:

Post a Comment